Monday, April 22, 2013

happy earth day

As an Oregon native (and a farm girl at heart) it's only right that I celebrate earth day.  And of course, when I decide to celebrate, the whole family gets to celebrate.

And celebrate we did... by planting our raised bed!

We'll soon be feasting on:
lettuce (a few different kinds)
red kale
cilantro
corn (white & yellow)
sweet bell peppers (red & green)
eggplant
cucumber
yellow heirloom tomatoes
sweet black cherry tomatoes
cilantro
and pole beans
(+ you'll spot some marigolds and rue in there to keep the bugs in check!)


We've also got raspberries, blueberries, strawberries, basil, garlic, thyme, parsley and chives scattered throughout the yard.  There's still some space in the left in the raised bed too!

Last year I started all my plants from seed, but I'm impatient (and unorganized) this year and it just took too long.  I figured it would be more fun (especially with a toddler as my assistant) to start from seedlings this year.  We went with plants from the Organiks line that's sold at Armstrong.  It's surprisingly hard to find organic vegetable plants.  It seems like if your growing your own they sure ought to be organic!  So, if you're looking for organic plants I'd recommend Armstrong.  If it's seeds you're after I love Annie's Heirlooms.

Yum.  Can't wait for harvest time.  Look forward to some recipes!

Happy Earth Day.

1 comment:

  1. Whitney,
    I love the idea of a raised planting box...yours looks great. I had no idea that it was difficult to find organic seedlings. Like you, I would think that would be most popular and easy for growers to manage.
    Happy Earth Day to you and your darling family!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete