Monday, April 8, 2013

perfect porch accessories

Our front porch is finally as cozy and inviting as can be!  We found the perfect front porch furniture and spent less than $100 total.  Of course, to me, perfect means pre-loved, antique and full of charm!  

On one side of the porch we've got a little bistro set.  It's the perfect size for a cup of coffee and the morning paper.  I've got to thank IKEA for this one - that place sure can come through for you when you're on a budget!  
TÄRNÖ Bistro set IKEA You can easily protect your furniture against wear and tear by re-glazing it on a regular basis, about once a year.

I gave it a new coat of paint to match the front door (and the black back door - not pictured). 


 Behind the bistro set is my new hydrangea.  I can't wait for it to get nice and tall and create a more enclosed feel.  It's a Penny Mac Repeat Bloomer - it was a splurge from Armstrong Gardens, but they're SO worth it.  We'll get lovely blue flowers ALL summer!

 On the other side of the porch, I've got my new porch swing.  It was quite the find from one of my favorite Long Beach salvage shops.  I needed a pretty narrow swing and this one is just perfect.
I bought it for a steal looking like this...
gave it a nice "milk paint" makeover, added some Costco outdoor pillows and here's the finished product.  I just LOVE milk paint.  If you haven't used it (and like to paint furniture) you just MUST try it.  It deserves it's own post soon!
Our little porch is finished off with this cottage fence that Jeff and I built using 2"x2"s and 2"x4"s.  There's a great lumber yard next to one of the schools that I work with and they milled the 2"x2"s into points for me (and gave Carson a ride on the forklift)!
 



2 comments:

  1. Whitney,
    It really looks inviting. I can just imagine sipping a cup of coffee and relaxing there. I think the swing is my favorite. My grandmother had a bench swing when I was growing up and it was my favorite place to sit with her and enjoy her stories.
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a sweet memory! I'm hoping our porch swing will help us create some lovely moments just like that!

      Delete